domingo, 12 de marzo de 2023

03/13/2023 - 03/17/2002 Idioma Moderno II: Inglés GG A/ GLI A2

 GG A: Murphy: 45-48; Hancock: 13-14.


GR/GLI A1, A2: EAP Oxford, unit 4 .


Meeting people










Language Bits

(Taken from Jeremy Harner & John Arnold, Advanced Speaking Skills, Longman, 1978)

Introducing people

X, this is Y. Y is ...

X, may I introduce Y/I'd like you to meet Y. Y is... <slightly formal>

Hello. Pleased to meet you.
How do you do? <slightly formal>
Hi! < very informal>

How do you do?/Hello. My name's X. I'sm...
Good morning*. Allow me to introduce myself. My name's X. I'm... <formal>
Hi!. I'm... <informal>

"How do you do?" is not a genuine question, it's rather a statement. Answer something like "pleased to meet you", or even repeat "how do you do". This comment is somewhat old fashioned. See this for a very interesting discussion.




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario